This is an easy and delicious recipe that can be made in a single pot. Makes about 6 servings.
- 4 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups 2% milk (For creamier soup, use half and half or whole milk)
- 2 cups chicken broth (I use bouillon cubes)
- 16 oz. sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli florets
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add flour and stir until well-combined with the butter mixture.
- Pour in milk and chicken broth.
- Slowly add cheese, stirring as you go.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bring soup to a boil, then add carrots and frozen broccoli. Continue to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Let sit at low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Enjoy! I like to serve this soup with warm french bread.