When I was a little girl, these were my favorite cookies my grandma made at Christmas time. It wasn’t until I got older that I finally asked my Grammy how she made such perfect little sugar cookies. She told me she used a cookie press that someone gave her as a gift many years ago. I had never even heard of a cookie press! My mom is a wonderful baker, but we always had drop cookies (and plenty of them!) in my house.
- 3 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- colored sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an electric mixer, mix sugar and butter on low power.
- Add egg yolks, flour, and vanilla. Continue to mix on low until dough is a firm, workable consistency.
- Follow the instructions for your cookie press (I use Wilton Cookie Max Cookie Press). I’ve found that the dough is most workable when it’s chilled, so store in the refrigerator in-between batches.
- After pressing out cookies, sprinkle with colored sugar sprinkles.
- Bake for 9 minutes on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Because these cookies are so buttery, it’s best to transfer the cookies to paper towel or newspaper to absorb any extra butter.
- Enjoy these delicious cookies, which are great any time of year. They are easily freezable. Just place in a single layer in a freezer bag. They take about 10 minutes to thaw once frozen. Recipe makes about 100 bite-size cookies.