I grew up with crock pot meals; my mom was using a crock pot before crock pots were
cool. That’s probably why some of my favorite meals as an adult are made in the slow cooker. There’s just something so comforting about the smell of dinner drifting through the house all day. The guarantee that a delicious meal will be ready and hot by dinnertime is pretty nice, too.
When planning my meals this week, I needed something easy for our very busy Tuesday night. I decided to give one of my favorite go-to recipes a try in the crock pot. It turned out great! I actually think I liked the crock pot version better than the labor-intensive baked recipe. Everyone loves this cheesy chicken and rice dish; I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!
- 2 lb. rotisserie chicken
- 8.8 oz Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Ready Rice
- 7 oz. shredded cheddar
- 12 oz. frozen broccoli
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Chop chicken. I use only the white meat, removing the skin. There should be about 2 cups of chicken. Set aside.
- Turn crock pot to high heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour to melted butter. Turn heat to medium and cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Remove sauce from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Fold in sour cream. Set aside.
- Place frozen broccoli in the crock pot. Sprinkle a handful of cheese on top.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with another handful of cheese. Season with salt and paper if desired.
- Add uncooked rice to crock pot.
- Top rice with sauce mixture. Add remaining cheese. You might not use the entire 7 oz. pack of cheddar, depending how cheesy you want your finished product.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours.