Talk about comfort food! My mom has always made a similar version of this lasagna. I’m pretty sure that everyone who has ever tried it has said, “wow, that’s the best lasagna I’ve ever had!” after just one bite. Her signature ingredients are cottage cheese (instead of the traditional ricotta) and pepperoni (which add an explosion of flavor!). In my variation, I’ve added spinach and Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute. If you have not tried this delicious collection of spices, then you’re truly missing out. It adds so much flavor to the meat, and get this, it contains zero salt!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
A delicious 3-cheese lasagna the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 lb lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 24 oz cottage cheese
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella, divided
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup mini pepperonis
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil water and cook lasagna noodles according to package.
- While noodles are cooking, brown ground beef. Drain grease. Add pepperonis, tomato sauce, and 21 Seasoning Salute to cooked ground beef.
- In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, parmesan and half of the mozzarella.
- Spread the tomato paste in the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish. Top with layers of noodles, cheese mixture, spinach, and meat mixture (in that order). Should be enough for 3 sets of layers. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.