Last week was Water Safety Awareness Week at Goldfish Swim. In honor of the important topic of water safety, I decided to provide you with 5 water safety tips for babies that we’ve learned during our lessons at Goldfish.
WATER Safety Tips for Babies
- “Elbow, Elbow, Belly, Knee” – We recite this little chant to teach our little ones how to safely climb out of the pool.
- The Sea Otter Float – Teach your child to flip to their back after going under or when he/she starts to feel sleepy.
- Fishy Faces – The easiest way to prevent your child from inhaling under water is by teaching them to make a “fishy face” and blow bubbles.
- Say “no” to puddle jumpers and life jackets – This has been the hardest for me. I always feel more secure when my kids are in life jackets. But I’ve learned during our lessons at Goldfish that it is more beneficial for children to learn to swim without the help of these devices. Of course, life jackets should always be worn when on a boat.
- Start lessons as soon as possible – The earlier the better when it comes to water safety. Babies can start swim lessons as early as 4 months at Goldfish Swim School.